Here is a check list and some tips and tricks for cleaning after a head lice infestation.
Head Lice Check-list
- ___ All combs/brushes, hair pretties, headbands, barrettes should be bagged tightly and placed in the freezer for 24 hours, put in a mesh bag and placed in the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle or set aside (in the tightly closed bag) for 2 days.
- ___ All glasses, goggles, earrings, hearing aids, phones and head phones should be wiped down gently with soap and water.
- ___ All recently worn clothing (within the last 2 days) hats, jackets, sporting gear should be washed (only if dirty). It is not the washing that kills the lice it is the high heat produced in the dryer. Place all things in the dryer on high heat for 40 min. If the fabric won’t tolerate the high heat then place in the freezer for 24 hours or bag for 2 days.
- ___ Cleaning bedrooms: strip all the sheets and mattress pads off and place in the dryer on high heat for 40 min. Pillows can be placed in the dryer for the 40 min, or bagged for 2 days.
- ___ Vacuum all floors, carpets, rugs and upholstered furniture. Any leather furniture can be wiped down with paper towels and an appropriate spray cleaner and disposed of afterward.
- ___ Car seats: Vacuum the car seats/headrests thoroughly. If you have leather seats wipe them off with a damp rag. If your child sits in a car seat/booster remove the seat cover and dry on high heat for 40 min, or bag for 2 days.
- ___ All dolls, blankets, stuffed animals and rugs should be put in the dryer on high heat for 40 min or bagged for 2 days.
Time saving Tips
- If it is not dirty, don’t wash it! It is not the water that will kill the lice it is the high heat in the dryer. When using the dryer use the highest heat setting for 40 minutes.
- After you have vacuumed and/or wiped down the couch, chairs in your living area, place a flat sheet over them. At the end of each day you can remove the sheet and put in the dryer for 40 min.